Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Change

O.K., here's the scenario. In the restroom where I work, there is a paper towel dispenser on the wall just to the left of the sink. About three weeks ago, the dispenser was removed, for what reason, I don't know. They didn't feel the need to inform me. But anyway, imagine my surprise the first time I washed my hands, I turned to the left as usual to dry them and "Bam", no paper towels. I stood there confused, not knowing what to do. This is not the way things are supposed to be. I wash my hands and the paper towels are supposed to be right there! After I calmed down a bit, I took action. I looked around and found that the roll of towels had been placed on a shelf on the back wall of the restroom. I dried my hands and wondered, what could have happened to the dispenser? "Well", I thought, "hopefully they will get this fixed soon. This is very inconvenient." I mean, the roll is now like 5 feet from the sink! That makes no sense!

As days went by with no new paper towel holder, one thing amazed me. I knew the holder wasn't there. I would even walk in and see the empty spot on the wall. But each time when I finished washing my hands, I would immediately turn to my left and reach for a towel. I don't know what irritated me more, that there were no towels where they were supposed to be or that I continued to reach for towels that I knew weren't there. Habits can be hard to break. Change is tough!

I decided then that this was just silly. I mean, here I am getting distressed over something so small as paper towels being moved. There are much bigger issues to worry about. So I decided that I would not let these petty things get to me. From that day forward, I was going to be a changed man, no more complaining. When change comes my way, I'm just gonna embrace it and roll! Mister easy going, take life as it comes. Yeah, that's me.

Well, yesterday they installed the new paper towel dispenser in the restroom. So now things are back to normal, except the lever on this new dispenser is alot harder to pull than the old one was............

As we journey through life, I think it's important to take some time every once in a while to laugh at yourself.

No comments: