Monday, March 27, 2006

Based On A True Story Inspired By Actual Events

My family and I went to see the movie "Eight Below" this weekend. It was a great movie and I highly recommend it. The opening of the movie had a line that just got me thinking. "Inspired by a true story". It made me think about how many times I've seen that before a movie or something similar such as, "Based on a true story" or "Based on actual events". I find it somewhat ironic that we have these true events that need a little embellishing to make them entertaining. Don't get me wrong, I don't think there is anything wrong with that. Who knows, I may not have enjoyed "Eight Below" as much if they told the story exactly as it actually played out. But what is it about truth that it sometimes just isn't enough? Are we surrounded by so much stimuli that truth just comes across as too boring? Maybe I see truth as too "possible" and that just doesn't grab me. I don't know what it is. I've also been reading a series of fictional books that have really sucked me in and I find myself having the same problem there. Everyday, I can't wait to get some quiet time to read. When the time finally comes, I reach into the basket beside my chair and grab my fictional book....sitting right next to my Bible.

No comments: