Monday, February 27, 2006

Thank you Father

I have a bad job. Well, the work I do is not that bad but the company I work for often leaves me drained and depressed. Don't get me wrong, I'm not looking to be coddled at work, but it would be nice to be appreciated and treated with some amount of dignity from time to time. You'll just have to take my word for it that it isn't the greatest place to work, but being an uneducated man, my choices these days are few. As a Christian, it is a struggle for me as to how to deal with this situation. I find it so easy when mistreated to retaliate with poor work ethic. When pushed, you push back. After all, they are no better then I am, and I won't let them treat me like a dog. I'll show them. Not very Christ like is it? Now you see my dilemma. It also never accomplished anything, the more I push, the more they push, the more I push and so it goes. I came to the conclusion some time ago that God had put me in this situation to teach me humility. T he lesson I needed to learn was to always try to do the right thing in the face of adversity. To do my best at my job no matter how I was being treated. I needed to go home at night and be able to believe that no matter what the working conditions were at the plant, it wasn't my fault because I did what I was told and I did it to the best of my abilities. I believed that when I learned this lesson, that God would take me out of this situation and open up another opportunity in a more positive environment. One where I would be more free to do His work and life would be good. I have since learned the lesson of humility. Some days are still hard, some days I slip. But overall, I feel pretty good about who I am at work. God has given me some peace at work because I am also more aware of whose I am. I don't work hard for my company, I work hard for my God, because it's the right thing to do. It's what He would have me do. But a couple of weeks ago something new dawned on me. As I was thinking of all the things I would rather be doing with my life and all the work I would rather be doing for God,it hit me. Through all the complaining to God about how much I disliked my work situation, all the waiting for God to move me along to greener pastures and wondering about what I needed to do to get there...there was one thing I had never done. I had never once thanked God for my job. I never once thanked for the ability to provide my family with daily bread. I never thanked Him for the job that pays for our warm house, the cars we drive, the clothes on our backs. I'm sorry Father. I see now that you weren't just teaching me humility, you were teaching me to be grateful. Forgive me father, forgive me for being so ungrateful. Thank you for providing for myself and my family. I'm sorry I missed it for so long.

No comments: