Wednesday, December 07, 2005

What's In A Name?

Growing up, I always had trouble with my last name. My father was in the army and we moved around alot and no matter where we lived, Crowe was not a common name. My most memorable episode of taunting occurred when I was in fifth grade. We were living in Fort Knox Kentucky and I was attending Stevens Elementary School. There was a boy in my class who was particularly fond of teasing me about my name. I was constantly bombarded with "caws" whenever I was around him. The windows in our classroom overlooked the playground which was sometimes a scavenging ground for crows when recess was not in session. When these opportunities presented themselves this boy would often say, "Hey Pat, your family is outside waiting for you." Or something along those lines. Now you have got to realize that this boy happened to be the biggest kid in our class and I was among the smallest. My options in ending this torment were few, but relief would come. I came home from school, irritated from a day of teasing and decided to talk to my mom about what was going on. I told her about this boy in my class and about his constant teasing about my last name and how frustrated I was because no matter what I said or did, he would not let up. She listened to my plight with the understanding of a mother and when I was done, she asked me the simple question, "Well, what is this boy's name?" To which I replied, "Erskin Dew." She smiled at me and said, "You're concerned about a boy named"Erskin Dew" making fun of your name?" As soon as she said it, I realized how silly it really was. From that day on, Erskin's teasing never really had any affect on me. I don't know if he stopped or if I quit listening, but my mother put things in perspective for me that day and I have continued to carry that lesson with me. Crowe is a fine name, and so is Erskin Dew. Deep down, we're all the same, no matter what differences we try to point out to one another. So, what's in a name? Maybe just the difference between a speck and a plank (Matthew 7:1-6).

No comments: